City Council and LEO above the law in Washington
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

City Council and LEO above the law in Washington

This is a discussion on City Council and LEO above the law in Washington within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Oak Harbor takes a stab at gun regulation - Whidbey News-Times Grant Weed, the city attorney, advised the council this ...

Default City Council and LEO above the law in Washington

Oak Harbor takes a stab at gun regulation - Whidbey News-Times

Grant Weed, the city attorney, advised the council this week to amend the code to remove the prohibitions. He said the city isn’t allowed to have gun-control rules that are stricter than state or federal law.

Councilman Rick Almberg led the way, saying he won’t vote to allow guns in parks. He said some laws regarding firearms are “out-of-step with commonsense.”
    I know we are not consistent with state and federal law, but I’m not going to sit here and say it’s OK to carry guns in our city parks,” he said.

The council members questioned Oak Harbor Police Chief Ed Green about how police would respond if someone was walking around a park with a rifle, which is legal under state and federal law. He said the officers would contact to the person, at gunpoint, and ask him or her to secure the firearm. He didn’t say what would happen if the person refused.
    Not only is the City of Oak Harbor, WA violating the Washington State Constitution and State Preemption contained in the Revised Code of Washington RCW 9.41.290, they are also committing a gross misdemeanor, violating RCW 9A.36.070:

RCW 9A.36.070
    Coercion.

(1) A person is guilty of coercion if by use of a threat he or she compels or induces a person to engage in conduct which the latter has a legal right to abstain from, or to abstain from conduct which he or she has a legal right to engage in.

(2) "Threat" as used in this section means:

(a) To communicate, directly or indirectly, the intent immediately to use force against any person who is present at the time; or

(b) Threats as defined in *RCW 9A.04.110(27) (a), (b), or (c).

(3) Coercion is a gross misdemeanor.
    Isn't it nice that they are so willing to violate state laws and commit a criminal act while expecting Joe Citizen to just submit and kiss their jackboots.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Blog Entries

It's for the children!
    Crusty ol' Nam Vet, Patriot, Paratrooper & Swashbuckler!
    President of Washington state chapter of the Sons of Liberty Riders
    www.sonsoflibertyriders.com

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Oak Harbor takes a stab at gun regulation - Whidbey News-Times

Grant Weed, the city attorney, advised the council this week to amend the code to remove the prohibitions. He said the city isn’t allowed to have gun-control rules that are stricter than state or federal law.

Councilman Rick Almberg led the way, saying he won’t vote to allow guns in parks. He said some laws regarding firearms are “out-of-step with commonsense.”
    I know we are not consistent with state and federal law, but I’m not going to sit here and say it’s OK to carry guns in our city parks,” he said.

The council members questioned Oak Harbor Police Chief Ed Green about how police would respond if someone was walking around a park with a rifle, which is legal under state and federal law. He said the officers would contact to the person, at gunpoint, and ask him or her to secure the firearm. He didn’t say what would happen if the person refused.
    Not only is the City of Oak Harbor, WA violating the Washington State Constitution and State Preemption contained in the Revised Code of Washington RCW 9.41.290, they are also committing a gross misdemeanor, violating RCW 9A.36.070:

RCW 9A.36.070
    Coercion.

(1) A person is guilty of coercion if by use of a threat he or she compels or induces a person to engage in conduct which the latter has a legal right to abstain from, or to abstain from conduct which he or she has a legal right to engage in.

(2) "Threat" as used in this section means:

(a) To communicate, directly or indirectly, the intent immediately to use force against any person who is present at the time; or

(b) Threats as defined in *RCW 9A.04.110(27) (a), (b), or (c).

(3) Coercion is a gross misdemeanor.
    Isn't it nice that they are so willing to violate state laws and commit a criminal act while expecting Joe Citizen to just submit and kiss their jackboots.
    I'll walk in oak harbors city parks with you, just let me know when.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

If I lived there I'd walk with y'all....

Sounds like a great legal action to be involved in!
    Folks ask why I carry two guns...Well if I did not I'd be off balance and walk in circles!

and we would expect anything different from these Libs? Same ole, same ole, they can violate the Law as a gov't entity but as you state if you as a law abiding citizen is forced by inane laws that violate your rights by the COTUS then you'll be hanged by the highest tree. Or fork out a huge amount of money to vindicate yourself. And as we all know you cannot sue most gov’t entities for redress of injuries. The insanity continues.......
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

It would be nice if the City Council did order the Chief of Police to arrest or otherwise detain a citizen and then be confronted by a tremendous law suit which would put a large dent in the city treasury. Navy has quoted a number of lawsuits which have been won over such ignorance. Hope the City Attorney can straighten out the councilman.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Well... a buddy and I just got back from the oak harbor city council meeting tonight. We both open carried and spoke. There will be a video on the web, probably tomorrow, I'll post the link when it is available. We have a meeting with the chief of police on Friday afternoon.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Well... a buddy and I just got back from the oak harbor city council meeting tonight. We both open carried and spoke. There will be a video on the web, probably tomorrow, I'll post the link when it is available. We have a meeting with the chief of police on Friday afternoon.
    Very nice. Hopefully this can be resolved. If not, just let me know, I'll see when I can make time to head towards Seattle to show some support.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great...I'm glad you took this stand...Now we all need to jump on the gun-control issues in this manner....

I have meet with one of my Representatives and expressed my thought on the gum control movement and impeding my 2nd amendment rights. He owns a AR so we know which side he lines up on.
    Folks ask why I carry two guns...Well if I did not I'd be off balance and walk in circles!

Here's the video. I am going to attack this not from the gun control point of view, but from the fact that the city council is full of criminals, willfully disobeying state law.... EXCEPT for Jim Campbell, the grey hair guy in the middle, to the left of the mayor, he is appalled by the city council's actions and 110% on our side. The guy sitting all the way in the center of the back of the room is the Chief of Police. Didn't say a word or do anything in regards to our firearms.

Oak Harbor - Whidbey Island's Premier Waterfront Community - Oak Harbor, WA 98277

I can't remember what the first woman talked about. The second guy who thanks the city council for violating state law seems to be taking advantage of the new law in Washington that makes marijuana legal. I am third and my friend is fourth.

Oak Harbor - Whidbey Island's Premier Waterfront Community - Oak Harbor, WA 98277

4:55 into this video will have you ROFLYAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast